[HarfBuzz] [p-c] Perso-Arabic symbols for "year"

Behdad Esfahbod behdad.esfahbod at gmail.com
Wed May 30 22:00:31 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-28, at 10:29 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 07:50:55PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> [CC'ing Khaled and HarfBuzz list]
>>

>> This block:
>>
>> feature calt {
>>  sub                                              @YearSign @Digits' lookup digit2medium;
>>  sub @Digits.medium                               @YearSign @Digits' lookup digit2medium;
>>  sub @Digits.medium @Digits.medium                @YearSign @Digits' lookup digit2medium;
>>  sub @Digits.medium @Digits.medium @Digits.medium @YearSign @Digits' lookup digit2medium;
>> } calt;
>>
>> Looks completely wrong to me in that it matches the backtrack sequence in the
>> wrong order.  Ie, from what I understand, and I can be totally wrong, it
>> should have lines like this:
>>
>>  sub @YearSign @Digits.medium @Digits.medium    @Digits' lookup digit2medium;
>>
>> instead of this:
>>
>>  sub @Digits.medium @Digits.medium    @YearSign @Digits' lookup digit2medium;
>
> AFAIK the backtrack coverage has to be in the reverse order, if I do as
> you suggest, only first digit will be matched. This have been tested
> with FireFox¹ (hb-ng), Pango (hb-old), LibreOffice (ICU) and MS Word
> (Uniscribe), so I think it is correct² :)

Reporting back from the Adobe communication thread:

So, apparently Adobe meant the backtrack sequence to be in logical
order, not reversed. Combining this with Khaled's observation of the
font working can only suggest that Fontforge is producing backtrack
table in reverse. Fixing that will break all fo ts relying on that
behavior of Fontforge. Khaled is to investigate more to figure out how
to proceed.

behdad