[HarfBuzz] Post Base Substitution fails with Malayalam repha

Rajeesh K Nambiar rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 11:23:34 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

>> The word 'ചൎച്ച്' <Cha+Dotreph+Cha+Virama+Cha+Virama> is incorrectly
>> shaped - the final Virama is reordered before
>> <Dotreph+Cha+Virama+Cha>.
>> hb-shape output: [ch1=0+1488|xx=1+184|dotrephch1ch1=1+1488]
>> Correct output: [ch1,dotrephch1ch1,xx].
>
> This will be fixed in tonight's push.

Just pulled the changes and tested - indeed this is fixed!

We still have an issue with reordering, though :-)
For the newer versions of Meera and Rachana [¹], we have moved away
from individual glyphs involving dotreph (it is a lot of glyph
duplication and causes increased font size) into GPOS "abvm" lookup.
With this version of fonts, dotreph is still reordered to the end of
the cluster.

Example:
./util/hb-shape Rachana.ttf ൎത്തൂ
[th1th1=0+2666|dotreph=0 at -460,0+0|u2=0+530]

This causes the final Matra (u2) to be detached which is not desirable
for traditional orthography. Ideally, glyph th1th1u2 should have been
formed with dotreph above it.

New version of fonts [¹]:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/smc/fonts/malayalam-fonts-6.0/Rachana/Rachana.ttf
, http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/smc/fonts/malayalam-fonts-6.0/Meera/Meera.ttf