[HarfBuzz] disabling Arabic shaping when direction is vertical

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:35:46 PDT 2015

On 23/4/15 20:17, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 15-04-23 04:47 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>>> Bringing this back up so we fix.
>>>

>> Ping. :)
>>
>> I just submitted https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/pull/100 with a trivial
>> patch for this... please see what you think, and fix as appropriate. Thanks!
>
> Thanks.  Counter proposal: how about changing the shaper-switch to route to
> default shaper if direction is vertical?  That's much less intrusive.

OK, that sounds like it should work too.

> Probably should do for Indic as well.

I'm not entirely sure about this (or SEAsian, etc). The CSS writing
modes spec specifically mentions "horizontal cursive scripts (such as
Arabic)", but I don't think Indic scripts fit this category. Examples
are hard to find, but I suspect the appropriate rendering of Indic and
similar scripts with vertical direction and upright glyph orientation
would be to stack by grapheme clusters, or something along those lines -
but we'd still need shaping features such as pre-vowel reordering, reph
formation, etc.

JK