[HarfBuzz] Windows build of harfbuzz with nmake

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Jun 13 12:51:12 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:34:24AM +0100, John Emmas wrote:
> On 13/06/2016 10:09, Juha Martikainen wrote:
> >
> > I had a second build attempt where I made my own vcxproj file. There I
> > get the following kind of errors:
> >
> > 1>..\..\src\hb-directwrite.cc(246): error C2039: 'directwrite' : is not
> > a member of 'hb_shaper_data_t'
> > 1>..\..\src\hb-directwrite.cc(257): error C3861:
> > 'hb_directwrite_shaper_face_data_ensure': identifier not found
> >

> Hi Juha, I think you accidentally posted off-list.
>
> You're right about the above and it's hugely frustrating.  I build with
> MSVC-8 and I had to comment out the whole of 'hb-directwrite.cc' because I
> couldn't make it compile.

That is why you need config.h file, to enable/disable optional features
as suitable. For example DirectWrite and Uniscribe backends should be
disabled by default since they are only for testing purposes (comparing
HarfBuzz output to MS implementations) and are not needed in production
code.

Or may be the issue is that you are using your own build system and just
included all the source files, in this case you can just skip
hb-directwrite.* and hb-uniscribe.* (among others, reading
src/Makefile.am should give some clues).

Regards,
Khaled