[HarfBuzz] Fwd: Properly Rendering (Tamil-)Brahmi Short E/O

Vinodh Rajan vinodh at virtualvinodh.com
Sat Jul 21 17:36:00 UTC 2018

>  A syllable ending in virama may not include a
> dependent vowel!  If my memory serves me right, this is ironic, as
> Andrew Glass had a lot to do with the original Brahmi proposal!

It is ironic indeed. Furthermore,  I don't know how they missed this, since
Old Tamil Brahmi has a specific paragraph dedicated to it in the standard.

> The quick solution at the font level is to use a feature invoked after
> the dissolution of syllable boundaries, such as psts, to convert
> sequences such as <gSIGN_O, g25CC, gVirama> to <gSIGN_O, gVirama>.
> This isn't quite Unicode compliant, as it will also affect character
> sequences such as <SIGN_O, U+25CC, VIRAMA>. (One can work round this
> in a HarfBuzz renderer, but the only solution I know fails abysmally
> with Uniscribe/DirectWrite.)  You may have to move other substitutions
> from xxxf features to xxxs features.

The production version of the font is already sort of non-compliant.  I
currenty just the script code 'latn' to bypass USE-processing and enforce
the ligatures through 'liga'.

I just wanted to make it more compliant by assigning the correct script
code 'brah' and with 'ccmp' features. But as it stands now,  I will just
wait for the HB/USE to fix the issue on their side before updating the font.

http://www.virtualvinodh.com