[HarfBuzz] Support for Stylistic Sets

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 15 11:37:25 UTC 2019

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:03:01 +0300
Nikolay Sivov <bunglehead at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 5:33 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:

> > Then there's no need to know whether a feature is supported.
> > Thanks.

> MS Word for example shows a preview for each support ssXX feature,
> and user can select one they want.
>
> I don't know how (or why) you plan to use that for emacs, but you'll
> need to have some logic to figure out which one to enable.

I believe Emacs systems include intelligent wetware.

I hope Eli's planning on allowing other features.  Some features may
increase the differences between same script confusables, e.g. '0' v.
'O', 'l' v. '1' and 'ɡ' v. 'g'.

> > > Does HarfBuzz guess the language?
> >
> > Yes.

It seems to use the current locale.  That will usually be wrong for
cuneiform, and generally be wrong for multilingual text.

Richard.