[HarfBuzz] Ligatures

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Sat May 23 19:14:16 UTC 2020

On 23/05/2020 08:44, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Thanks.  Since (b) is not really feasible without redesigning the
> entire Emacs display engine (for which I see no volunteers lining up
> any time soon), I guess we will have to use some more-or-less
> reasonable and somewhat unreliable heuristics by supporting only some
> ligatures that are known in advance.

Travelling further in the wrong direction is always an option, but don't
expect it to get you closer to the right destination.

Full text shaping is the only way to get this right. Everything else is
a hack, and piling hacks on top of hacks is just storing maintenance
problems up for yourself.

I know that's hard to hear for a volunteer project where nobody really
wants to invest the effort in this complicated niche stuff, but
honestly, you're probably better doing *nothing* than doing this.