[immodule-qt] Question about backspace key

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Sat Aug 14 09:28:10 EEST 2004

Hi Choe, welcome to the development.

At Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:40:55 +0900,
krisna at kldp.org wrote:
> I'm making qt im module for korean.
> And there is a problem on treat the backspace key.
>
> When IC is in Compose mode by calling startComposition(), IC can not
> send key event to app although filterEvent return false. So backspace
> key is not working.
>
> But when IC is in NotCompose mode by calling endComposition(), IC can
> not receive backspace key event, so IC can not delete preedit string
> currectly.

It seems that you're using our very old API. startComposition()
and endComposition() had already been obsolete. Please use our
latest 'unified patch' for development.

Download qt-x11-immodule-unified-qt3.3.2-20040812.diff.gz from
following page and see src/kernel/qinputcontext.cpp for the API
description.

http://immodule-qt.freedesktop.org/Software/ImmoduleQtDownload

> How do I process backspace key?

Backspace key can be filtered by ordinary input context. For
example, uim-anthy input method can delete preedit characters by
backspace key.

> And How do I commit characters without using QIMEvent?

Our immodule API provides no way to do it. Please show us why
it's required.

Although the XIM input method in the official Qt release commits
characters via QKeyEvent for many languages, we had decided that
always committing composed characters via QIMEvent. I could
explain detailed reason about this in next reply if you want.

In addition, please show me your code. It gives me more
information about what you're thinking.

Regards,
YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp