[immodule-qt] Current Qt 4 status

Ken Deeter ktdeeter at alumni.princeton.edu
Fri Dec 3 09:19:54 EET 2004

Hi everyone. Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while.

Just to fill in a little bit:

> > > - rich text capability for preedit string (flexible visual
> > >   modification of preedit)
> >
> > Possible, but that would only work in QTextEdit. QLineEdit has no rich text
> > capabilites.
>
> I think it is sufficient to treat the data according to text edit.
> But, it is important that it can be treated.

I think he means the ability to decorate pre-edit strings. This doesn't
mean that the actual commited text needs to be able to have rich
text-like attributes.

For example, if the input method is currently in a mode that affects
part of the current pre-edit string (partial conversion, for example),
it is useful to have that part of pre-edit look different from the rest.
So it would be nice if the input method could specify visual attributes
for various parts of the pre-edit string, and have the widget be able to
render these accordingly.

The main ones I've seen so far in other input methods are,
- text/bg color
- hilight
- bold
- underline

But I imagine others would be useful as well:
- italics?
- font size?
- squiggly/colored unerlining

> > > - ruby capablity (which Daisuke mentioned). Do you know about
> > >   ruby?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean here? You're not talking about the programming
> > language are you?
>
> It is japanese "hurigana".

"ruby" here refers to (I believe) small character annotations to each
character. When Japanese writing using Chinese characters, the several
different words can be written using the same character, and thus an
annotation can be useful to differentiate them.

In print, this is typically done by placing smaller phonetic characters
right next to the main character that is being annotated.

Ken