[immodule-qt] commit while preedit is being kept (Re: svn repository malfunction)

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Fri Sep 10 01:46:36 EEST 2004

At Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:59:11 +0800,
james.su at gmail.com wrote:
>   I found a design issue of qt immodule. There are only three IM
> events: IMStart, IMCompose and IMEnd. A string can only be committed
> to the client by IMEnd event.

Yes, this model inherits Trolltech's original XIM
implementation. At least Qt/Embedded's own input method facility
is also using same model.

>   But, some input methods may want to commit a string to the client
> before the end of composing (while displaying a preedit string).

Did you say that m17n-latin-post and m17n-vi-viqr are such IM?

Regardless of the answer, please let me know (other) such IMs as
examples. Actual implementations will indicate real requirements
to make proper decision.

> In
> this case the preedit string will be erased, because IMEnd has been
> sent to commit the string. Then the input method must restart
> displaying the preedit string by resending IMStart and IMCompose
> events. It's so inconvenience.

I think that a protocol translator which sends IMEvents
appropriately based on asynchronous preedit-update/commit
request from such IMs can resolve such issue, as short term
solution.

>   Please have a look at the design of gtk immodule, the preedit string
> and commit events are separated to each other completely. Input method
> can commit string to client anytime, no matter whether there is a
> preedit string available.

I know the design of GTK. But I didn't know the specification is
intended feature.

Because the change involves quite wide spread of code, platform
and persons, we must be careful to change the model. Let me know
anything about such IMs to decide whether we should change the
model or not.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp