[immodule-qt] Does QT 4 beta 1 support IM modules

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Sat Jan 1 19:31:25 EET 2005

Lars Knoll <lars at trolltech.com> wrote:

> > Thank you for report. But, I was disappointed about its contents.
>
> I have for the moment chosen not to add the switcher to the Qt distribution.
> We have thought about this and would like to integrate the switching
> framework into Qt.
>
> The reason for this is that we need to find a general solution to the problem
> of switching input languages. This does also include simple X11 keyboard
> layouts and is not only limited to input methods. This is why a switcher
> plugin won't work.

Since I cannot fully understand the reason which you decided so by this
explanation, please explain to me a little more concretely.

And, it is possible to make the method of changing input method using D-BUS
as more general mechanism.

> > If the reason a part of functions are not adopted, and other part are
> > remaining exists, please let me know, Lars. Unless the present status and
> > the future plan in Trolltech are known, we can't decide our future work.
>
> My idea is to have the framework needed to load and work with the IME plugins
> inside Qt. Most plugins for the different input methods should probably
> continue to be developed by you (e.g. on freedesktop.org).

I think that QMultiInputContext and QSimpleInputContext as structure which
a input method can delegate key event to other are absolutely required.
It will become  mechanism inferior to immodule of gtk+, if it is not realized.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>