[immodule-qt] Does QT 4 beta 1 support IM modules

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Tue Jan 4 19:10:36 EET 2005

Lars Knoll <lars at trolltech.com> wrote:

> For the regular user an input method is just another keyboard layout (although
> one that is significantly more complex to use) and he'd like to be able to
> use it as such. I'd like to be able to configure my desktop to e.g. have a
> german, english and japanese "keyboard layouts". As a user I don't care
> technically one of them is an input method and the others are X11 keyboard
> layouts.
>
> In the example above this means that I would like to be able to siwtch between
> these three layouts using the context menu on a lineedit. Your approach with
> the im switcher only allows me to choose japanese in there, but not to switch
> back to german.

Although I don't know whether to suit 100% this subject, since I'm not looking
in detail, the relation between input method and keyboard layout is being argued
at the mailing list of scim.

> This means that I would like to see a unified keyboard switching mechanism
> available on X11 (KDE and Gnome) that we can use. The mechanism should work
> similar to what Windows offers and not make a distinction between regular
> keyboard layouts and input methods.

As long as the argument was read, I have a feeling that such a function is not
what the toolkit should realize. I think that what it should implement is
mechanism which lap those functions that other frameworks implement.

> > I think that QMultiInputContext and QSimpleInputContext as structure which
> > a input method can delegate key event to other are absolutely required.
> > It will become  mechanism inferior to immodule of gtk+, if it is not
> > realized.
>
> I can understand that we should add the simple input method. But the multi
> input context is just a switcher and for the reasons I told you above I would
> like this to go directly into Qt so we can unify this with general keyboard
> layout switching in the long term. In the short term, I would like to add
> some mechanism similar to what QMultiInputContext currently does into Qt (ie.
> switching between input methods) and add configuration options for it to
> qtconfig.

QMultiInputContext is never mere switcher.
QMultiInputContext which we implemented has the following roles.

1. The input method which is able to delegate processing of events to the
   arbitrary input methods can be created by inheriting QMultiInputContext
   and using changeInputMethod(). This is one of the meanings of "Multi."

   For example, IM can be more easily created by leaving QSimpleInputContext
   except the state where isComposing() is true.

2. In the present implementation, using default IM other than XIM can be
   realized, only when QMultiInputContext is added. The great portion of
   meaning which adopt the result of an immodule for Qt project will be lost,
   if it is still this state.

3. Switching input method by selecting context menu.

>From the reason explained above, QMultiInputContext which has the function of
1 and 2 is required though general keyboard layout switching which you say is
realized. Or about 2, we should implement in another portion.

But, I consider the change by the context menu and keys as it is better to be
able to set up by qtconfig as you say. Moreover, probably, the function being
invalid by the default will be more kind for ordinary users.

I will implement this function at this weekend.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>