[immodule-qt] Does QT 4 beta 1 support IM modules

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Fri Jan 7 11:50:17 EET 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 18:10, Daisuke Kameda wrote:
> Lars Knoll <lars at trolltech.com> wrote:
> > For the regular user an input method is just another keyboard layout
> > (although one that is significantly more complex to use) and he'd like to
> > be able to use it as such. I'd like to be able to configure my desktop to
> > e.g. have a german, english and japanese "keyboard layouts". As a user I
> > don't care technically one of them is an input method and the others are
> > X11 keyboard layouts.
> >
> > In the example above this means that I would like to be able to siwtch
> > between these three layouts using the context menu on a lineedit. Your
> > approach with the im switcher only allows me to choose japanese in there,
> > but not to switch back to german.
>
> Although I don't know whether to suit 100% this subject, since I'm not
> looking in detail, the relation between input method and keyboard layout is
> being argued at the mailing list of scim.
>
> > This means that I would like to see a unified keyboard switching
> > mechanism available on X11 (KDE and Gnome) that we can use. The mechanism
> > should work similar to what Windows offers and not make a distinction
> > between regular keyboard layouts and input methods.
>
> As long as the argument was read, I have a feeling that such a function is
> not what the toolkit should realize. I think that what it should implement
> is mechanism which lap those functions that other frameworks implement.

There should be a mechanism for doing this that is independent of the toolkit.
However the toolkits have to implement support for this mechanism (once it
exists).

> > > I think that QMultiInputContext and QSimpleInputContext as structure
> > > which a input method can delegate key event to other are absolutely
> > > required. It will become  mechanism inferior to immodule of gtk+, if it
> > > is not realized.
> >
> > I can understand that we should add the simple input method. But the
> > multi input context is just a switcher and for the reasons I told you
> > above I would like this to go directly into Qt so we can unify this with
> > general keyboard layout switching in the long term. In the short term, I
> > would like to add some mechanism similar to what QMultiInputContext
> > currently does into Qt (ie. switching between input methods) and add
> > configuration options for it to qtconfig.
>
> QMultiInputContext is never mere switcher.
> QMultiInputContext which we implemented has the following roles.
>

> 1. The input method which is able to delegate processing of events to the
>    arbitrary input methods can be created by inheriting QMultiInputContext
>    and using changeInputMethod(). This is one of the meanings of "Multi."
>
>    For example, IM can be more easily created by leaving
> QSimpleInputContext except the state where isComposing() is true.

I don't think I understand you here.

> 2. In the present implementation, using default IM other than XIM can be
>    realized, only when QMultiInputContext is added. The great portion of
>    meaning which adopt the result of an immodule for Qt project will be
> lost, if it is still this state.

No. You can directly configure Qt to use some other IM plugin. That said, we
should have a switching framework available in Qt.

> 3. Switching input method by selecting context menu.

We will add this again in Qt.

Best regards,
Lars