[immodule-qt] Re: Question about deletion of the method of QInputContext

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Tue Jan 11 07:11:31 EET 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 02:15, Lars Knoll wrote:

> > 3. About isPreeditPreservationEnabled().
> > It seems that you determined to delete it although Yamaken had explained
> > several times. Why did you do?
>
> Well, if I understood correctly he said that you need it as long as you
> have one input context per top level and a QInputContext can only hold one
> low level IC (XIC for XIM). The preedit relocation hack moved the preedit
> string from one input widget to the next on focus changes (but only if the
> two widgets had the same toplevel widget). I can't believe this is the
> behaviour you want.
>
> In the current design QInputContext (for XIM, but the same can be
> implemented for other input methods) holds more than one XIC, and can thus
> deal correctly with focus changes. It is now up to the input context if
> they reset the preedit string on focus changes or preserve it.
>
> So for XIM, focus changes do not any longer cause the preedit string to be
> reset, but it is preserved until the widget regains focus. Please try what
> I have implemented for XIM together with e.g. kinput2 and tell me if this
> is the wanted behaviour.

I'm considering well about this.

Although present operation is good for Japanese, I think that
the operation which doesn't reset is not always required.
If anything, there must be more many languages for which
it is good behavior not doing so.

Probably, this point at least should be taken into consideration.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>