[immodule-qt] Re: Question about deletion of the method of QInputContext

Choe Hwanjin choe.hwanjin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 08:25:11 EET 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:11:31 +0900, Daisuke Kameda
<kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp> wrote:
> On Thursday 06 January 2005 02:15, Lars Knoll wrote:
>
> > > 3. About isPreeditPreservationEnabled().
> > > It seems that you determined to delete it although Yamaken had explained
> > > several times. Why did you do?
> >
> > Well, if I understood correctly he said that you need it as long as you
> > have one input context per top level and a QInputContext can only hold one
> > low level IC (XIC for XIM). The preedit relocation hack moved the preedit
> > string from one input widget to the next on focus changes (but only if the
> > two widgets had the same toplevel widget). I can't believe this is the
> > behaviour you want.
> >
> > In the current design QInputContext (for XIM, but the same can be
> > implemented for other input methods) holds more than one XIC, and can thus
> > deal correctly with focus changes. It is now up to the input context if
> > they reset the preedit string on focus changes or preserve it.
> >
> > So for XIM, focus changes do not any longer cause the preedit string to be
> > reset, but it is preserved until the widget regains focus. Please try what
> > I have implemented for XIM together with e.g. kinput2 and tell me if this
> > is the wanted behaviour.
>
> I'm considering well about this.
>
> Although present operation is good for Japanese, I think that
> the operation which doesn't reset is not always required.
> If anything, there must be more many languages for which
> it is good behavior not doing so.
>
> Probably, this point at least should be taken into consideration.

I think this problem is important. Reseting ic on focus out event is a
needed feature for korean, and I think other languages too.
In some cases the last preedit string may be lost.

And I really curious about that.
Kameda san, let me know how japanese input text usually, and why that
feature is needed.
I don't still understand why :)