[RFC libevdev] Enable event logging for debugging

Benjamin Tissoires benjamin.tissoires at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 07:57:06 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Benjamin Tissoires
> <benjamin.tissoires at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I am definitively in favour of being able to filter the device node
>> from libevdev directly.
>
> What I was saying is I rather prefer a log-message that says
> "libevdev: eventXY: <some_message>" than to require me to set
> event-masks via env-vars. Because I usually prefer having as much
> information as possible and filter afterwards, than having to redo
> some testing because I didn't get enough information. Especially for
> libevdev which is quite low-traffic debug messaging (or do we log each
> received message?).

Sure, having both should solve the problem (a tag and the ability to
filter the events from libevdev).

Regarding how many messages are logged, yes, the idea was to log all
incoming input events to be able to have reproducers when the bug
happens.

> Anyhow, I really don't care much, so feel free to add either.
> David

That's Peter call, but I am less concerned by the logs now that they
are obfuscated and triaged than I was with the first version.

Cheers,
Benjamin