[Intel-gfx] Too many memory managers

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Aug 4 09:49:43 CEST 2008

I'm switching the 2D driver over so that it uses GEM objects for
pixmaps. I've ripped exa apart and created 'uxa' which doesn't deal with
pixmap allocation at all, and just focuses on acceleration. That's
working fine, and now the intel driver can create GEM objects for every
pixmap.

The current hold up is that the objects allocated by
i830_allocate_memory_bo, which includes the front/back/depth buffers,
don't use the dri_bufmgr API and instead go directly to GEM. As a
result, I can't use the existing dri_bufmgr API to emit relocations &c.

It seemed like it would be easy enough to just use dri_bo to allocate
all of these objects, and it would have been except that the bufmgr is
not initialized until long after many of these bo objects have been
created.

I'm not entirely sure what I want here; do we want to use dri_bufmgr for
all memory allocation operations and remove the built-in allocator? I
think we can't do that yet as there are objects which cannot live in gem
objects.

keith.packard at intel.com