[Intel-gfx] TODO list (XAA -> EXA growing pains)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Aug 5 07:37:51 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 01:18 -0400, Lovelace Luquette wrote:

> Under Cedega (although surprisingly not under vanilla wine..), users
> aren't able to run any programs at all due to the following bailout:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadImplementation (server does not implement
> operation)
>    Major opcode of failed request:  146 (MIT-SHM)
>    Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_ShmCreatePixmap)
>    Serial number of failed request:  3545
>    Current serial number in output stream:  3554

That's not a bug in the driver, it's a bug in Cedega. Drivers are not
required to provide this functionality, and we've learned over the years
that it is better for applications to use shared images instead of
shared pixmaps; few (if any) graphics cards are comfortable rendering to
arbitrary pages of memory, with the result being that all drawing to
this shared pixmap will end up being done in software within the X
server, something far better left to the application.

File a bug with Cedega; it's broken.

keith.packard at intel.com