[Intel-gfx] Support for HDMI on ASUS P5E-VM HDMI (G35 chipset)

Mike Wright bodyjarrocks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 06:33:40 CET 2008

Hi Intel folks,

It has been 6 months since I last tried the Intel drivers with my Asus
P5E-VM and HDMI connected Pioneer 5th gen plasma.  Since then I have
been using NVidia hardware which works fine.  I have decided to give
the Intel drivers another run.  I have noticed plenty of commits with
the words HDMI, SDVO and EDID so I thought that looked promising.

Unfortunately for me, the 2.5.1 driver is not working with my TV.
Running startx -- -verbose 5 tells me that the driver probed a
1920x1080i modeline via DDC.  I know the TV supports more modes than
this.  Those modes are stored in the EDID Extended block as Hong below
pointed out.

1.  Did anyone at Intel get around to decoding that EDID block yet?
2.  Secondly, can the intel drivers program an arbitrary mode over
HDMI like NVIDIA can?  If so then I could ignore this whole EDID thing
and just program the right mode.

If someone can try to answer these two, i'd be delighted.  I have
tries the "DDC" "false" option with a 1280x720 at 50Hz modeline but it is
being ignored (I think).  It is not clear to me from the server log if
it really is being ignored or not.  Maybe I can post it.

Kind regards,
Mike