[Intel-gfx] Support for HDMI on ASUS P5E-VM HDMI (G35 chipset)

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:21:03 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Mike Wright <bodyjarrocks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having problems getting HDMI to work on my ASUS P5E-VM HDMI.  I'll
> post xorg.conf and logs soon.  I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and the
> latest Intel XORG driver and DRM kernel part from GIT.  I have also
> tried other versions of the driver like 2.3.0.
>
> I have a Pioneer Plasma PDP427XDA connected via a short 1.5m HDMI
> cable directly to the PC.  VGA works fine with the latest GIT driver.
>
> Basically I can only get a black screen or a complete system lookup
> (no SSH or ping).  I'd like to help out by looking at code and specs
> and start debugging.
>
> What I'd like to know is:
>
> 1)  Has anyone actually got this combination working?
> 2)  Does the Mobo BIOS version have any impact on this?
>
> Of course I'll go looking for the answers myself.  I just wanted to
> put the questions out there.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm at work right now, so I can't provide you with much information
from my xorg.conf (although I think it is attached to one of the bug
reports I've filed).  I had very little problem though getting my
P5E-VM HDMI hooked up to both a Vizio 1080p LCD and a Panasonic 1080p
Plasma via HDMI.  The biggest difference is that in a later email you
mention your modes and none of them are 1080P 60hz which both of my
TVs are able to display.  I do have to have the HDMI plugged in during
bootup in order to get anything on it.  And I did have problems with
earlier versions of the Intel driver where I would get hard locking.
Now if I have my HDMI plugged into the board, and into the TV (the TV
doesn't have to be on the HDMI input) then it works, and looks
beautiful.  I'm using the 45nm 3Ghz Core2Duo as my CPU which I assume
helps reduce any visual problems by compensating for other issues.

Good luck!

-Chad