[Intel-gfx] opengl acceleration on intel 945gm with virtual screen size > 2048

Mateusz Jasiński matt1606 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 21:49:14 CET 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 21:33:33 Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Colin Guthrie <intel at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> > 'Twas brillig, and Mateusz Jasiński at 22/12/09 15:04 did gyre and gimble:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm rather searching for a problem resolution. I'm running debian sid
> >> and a custom built linux-2.6.32 krenel with built-in drm_i915 driver for
> >> my intel 945gm integrated graphics controller. While everything was
> >> working correctly on single monitor setup with DRI, I've connected a
> >> second monitor. My setup was: LVDS1 1280x800 and VGA1 1024x768.
> >
> > There is a hardware limitation of 2048 on 945gm's so you're outta luck
> > (I suffer from this too).
> >
> > You want to search around for work on "Shatter" which will allow this
> > limitation to be worked around (I presume this is still the optimum
> > solution to this problem?)
> >
> > I hope it will work as I quite like my little laptop and am considering
> > treating it to a SSD + battery upgrade!
>
> Someone could investigate zaphod multi-screen, at least you could get
> 3D on each head but not drag windows between them (which
> is a limitation I grant but maybe just a different one).
>
> If you got zaphod working, xinerama would of course break 3D again which
> is why you can't get two screens + 3D and moving windows between them.
But one thing bothers me. Since in kernel 2.6.32 there were patches added to
drm_i915 driver to support 4049x4049 textures using KMS. I'm running custom
build of 2.6.32 with i915 built-in and xrandr -q reports:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2304 x 800, maximum 4096 x 4096

On my current dual screen without opengl accel.
Does the 4096 x 4096 doesn't mean that the opengl accleration can be enabled
on 945gm?

Mateusz.