[Intel-gfx] "acid mode" on 965+KMS at resume

Pierre Willenbrock pierre at pirsoft.de
Wed Feb 25 18:00:06 CET 2009

Yves-Alexis Perez schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure it's completely KMS-related, but I'm testing KMS on my
> thinkpad t61, and it works better and better these days. I still have
> problems at resume: it's like if the thinkpad too acid:
>
> http://molly.corsac.net/~corsac/thinkpad-acid.jpg
>
> I'm using:
> Linux: linux-2.6/master + drm-2.6/drm-fixes merged
> xserver: 1.5.99.902
> xf86-video-intel: master with 2013799b20599a58de48cb21a5a389e898a58af1
> reverted (I don't have the headers installed in /usr/include/linux)
>
> I'm suspending from X, with:
> echo mem > /sys/power/state
>
> It suspends fine, and at resume the console is first displayed green,
> then it switches back to X wich is colored like linked above, and X is
> freezed. I can't do anything (but iirc the box is reachable via ssh).
>
> I'm not sure how to debug further.

Hi,

i am seeing the same, minus X-freezing. Actually, suspend to ram works
quite well except for the color-mess.

This problem is caused by i915_restore_vga restoring the vga palette
after i915_restore_palette restores the per-pipe palettes, with the
VGACNTRL-register setup to write to the palettes of both pipes, but
reading from the disabled pipe A(thus reading garbage/uninitialized data
at suspend time).

Restoring the VGA-palette when the same is done using
i915_restore_palette (at least according to the i965gm-docs) seems to me
to be superfluous.

Attached patch removes the restore logic for VGA palettes.
Alternatively, one could move the i915_restore_palette calls after the
i915_restore_vga call.

Regards,
  Pierre