[Intel-gfx] libdrm2 vs libdrm-intel1 ??

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Sat Jan 17 18:39:05 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 18:23 +0100, Martin Olsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Ubuntu there is two separate libdrm packages called libdrm2 and libdrm-intel1.
> My using "apt-cache rdepends libdrm2" and "apt-cache rdepends libdrm-intel1" I can see
> that the intel ddx driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel) uses both versions of libdrm?

they aren't two "versions of libdrm".  They're different libraries with
a different interface.

> * What is the difference between these two packages?

One provides a generic interface used by all drivers.  One provides
access to intel-specific kernel interfaces.

> * Why was it necessary to create a separate one just for intel hardware?
> * Will the intel package stuff eventually be merged into the real libdrm?

this question doesn't really make sense.

> * If so, what is needed to make this happen? e.g. will it be possible to eliminate
>    libdrm-intel after GEM is widely adopted or something like that?
>

> And most importantly:
>
> If I want to apply a patch (for testing) onto my ubuntu installation, then which package should I patch libdrm2 or libdrm-intel1 or both?

look closer.  there's just one source package.

Cheers,
Julien