[Intel-gfx] Which Driver?

Harold Fuchs fuchs.harold at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:30:04 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Linux but I have used Unix in the past although not as a
sysadmin. I just bought a new Acer 5738Z laptop which came with Windows
Vista. I have configured it to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid).

If I boot into Vista I can watch streamed live TV
(www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer) on the laptop's screen *and* on my LCD TV via an
HDMI cable.

If I boot into Ubuntu I can watch the same streamed live TV on the
laptop's screen but the TV shows nothing; just a blank screen. I assume
that Ubuntu is missing some driver.

Oh, on Vista I used Internet Explorer but on Ubuntu I used Firefox
3.0.11 but I don't *think* that's the problem. Or ????

I did 'sudo lspci -vv' to a file. The results (I edited out what I think
are the non-relevant parts) are appended. I found your web site
(http://intellinuxgraphics.org/) and tried to find a driver that matches
my hardware but, possibly because I'm a complete ignoramus in these
matters, I have no real idea what I'm looking at/for. None of the serial
numbers on the web site *seem* to match any of my lspci output.

Is there a driver that I can install that will let Ubuntu find the
HDMI-attached TV? Do I need separate drivers for sound and vision? Which
one(s)?

As I said, I have no experience at all in this area so, please, very
simple and detailed installation instructions. I'm a bit scared because
I'm worried that if a new driver doesn't let me see my Ubuntu desktop I
won't be able to uninstall it. Is there a way to overcome this? Other
than by backing up the entire system?

Harold Fuchs
London, England

===== begin lspci results
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0205
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
    Region 0: Memory at f4000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Region 4: I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
    Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Address: 00000000  Data: 0000
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 3
        Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0205
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0205
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
    Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
        DevCap:    MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns,
L1 <1us
            ExtTag- RBE- FLReset+
        DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
            RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
            MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
        DevSta:    CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+
TransPend-
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown,
Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
            ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
        LnkCtl:    ASPM Disabled; Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
            ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
        LnkSta:    Speed unknown, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk-
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
    Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
==== end lspci results ===