[Intel-gfx] Which Intel hardware can display/decode H.264?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 10 16:48:44 CEST 2009

Dear Tino and Marc,

thanks for your answers.

Am Donnerstag, den 09.07.2009, 11:00 +0200 schrieb Tino Keitel:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 22:34:15 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 July 2009 11:10:31 Paul Menzel wrote:
> > > Does this also include decoding H.264 material? Does the hardware have a
> > > decoder included and is this hardware decoder supported by the Intel
> > > drivers? [3] claims to be playing 1080p HD material on an ASUS EeePC
> > > 901.
> >
> > I can assure you I *cannot* play FullHD videos on my Toshiba
> > U200+GMA950+Centrino Duo 1,86GHz
>
> In the current ffmpeg, there is limited support for multithreaded
> decoding of H.264, so that all CPUs/CPU cores can be used.  It depends
> on the video if it has been encoded with more than once slice.  In this
> case, ffmpeg can use one CPU per slice. I tested a 1920x1200 H.264
> video on my ThinkPad X61s with a L7500 CPU (Core2 Duo 1,6 GHz) and
> playback was finde, with some CPU cycles left on both cores.
>
> However, the Intel graphics GMA950 still don't help for H.264 decoding.

Sorry, I am not so familiar with this stuff, so it would be nice if you
could clarify this.

The word »still« is a bit confusing for me. Does this mean (a) Intel
graphics GMA950 could help with H.264 decoding and the drivers do not
support it yet or (b) the Intel graphics GMA950 is not capable of
helping with H.264 decoding?

Thanks,

Paul