[Intel-gfx] kwin compositing broken with 2.8.0 (and git)

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 23 00:48:20 CEST 2009

Ever since about a week ago or possibly two, the intel gfx driver on my GM45
(4500MHD  gpu) has been either unstable with compositing, or just fails to
initialize composting altogether.

I had been running the git driver for a little while to get working KMS, and
about the same time the DRI2 changes hit, compositing in kwin4 started to get
rather unstable, (screen freezes) and now since a few days ago, compositing
won't initialize at all, and glxgears seems to run at a low low 300fps.
glxinfo does say direct rendering is enabled.

I'll probably post a bug on this soon following the "how to report a bug" doc,
but I just thought I'd ask here if anyone knows what might be the cause, or if
its fixed now? (I last checked git a couple days ago).

as a side note, with that notice that intel git got FBO support, I updated and
tried it out. It seems that using an FBO in one opensource lib (allegro 4.9)
is slower than other methods, including downloading, modifying, and re
uploading texture data. But I decided that was probably due to a mistake on my
part when installing the intel drivers from git, so I've downgraded back to
what is in Debian sid (2.8.0), and there's no real changes.

Thanks for the hard work on the driver so far :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at shaw.ca