[Intel-gfx] Feature request: ability to change Core Render Clock for performance or battery life

Nando nando4eva at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 08:29:50 CEST 2009

Hi Intel Gfx developers,

I would like the  to request a feature to the intel-gfx driver to be able to
change the Core Render Clock on the GM965 chipset, in the same way that ATI
Powerplay can, in order to increase performance or improve battery life.
(eg: 9.5W versus 13.5W TDP).

The chipset's datasheet tells us this can be done, and I've documented what
I know here <http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4907993>. It
would be useful also to know what the sequence is to do this under Windows
type environments.  I've attachd some notes of the bits that might be
relevant from the datasheet. Perhaps an Intel developer can explain the
sequence to disable the link, change the registers relating to Core Render
Clock, then enable the link within a live running system? I could do this
using BarEdit in Windows.

Your assistance greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nando