[Intel-gfx] Xorg crashes with fresh 2.6.29

David Amiel david at lesamiel.fr
Thu Mar 26 08:08:33 CET 2009

Le Jeu 26 mars 2009 01:28, yakui_zhao a écrit :
> On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 03:57 +0800, David Amiel wrote:
>> Le Mer 25 mars 2009 20:03, Martin Olsson a écrit :
>> > What chipsets do you guys have? Attach output of "lspci -nn | grep
>> VGA".
>>
>> I've got a G45
>>

>> > And when the crash happens, is anything printed into "dmesg" or
>> xorg.log ?
>>
>> - a kernel oops is generated dmesg error part :
>> http://pastebin.com/m22c6483a
>> - no error in Xorg.log, here it's for info if needed :
>> http://pastebin.com/m46dcdb6f
>>From the dmesg log it seems that there exists the following complain:
>>BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at (null)
> <1>[   17.032744] IP: [<(null)>] (null)
> <4>[   17.032749] *pde = 00000000
> <0>[   17.032754] Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
>><0>[   17.032760] last sysfs file: /sys/class/drm/version
>
> Is the crash related with the above issue? I am not sure.
>
> Will you please double check whether there is no crash on the 2.6.29-rc8
> kernel.
> If no crash, will you please use git-bisect to identify the bad commit
> which causes the crash?(Kernel bisect)

the problem has appeared at the end of January. Since then we (linux
distro geexbox mainteners) have tried all intel drivers (2.6.X ), kernel
(2.6.29[rcX]) with no luck.

At the beginning we thought that it was a distro related problem, but we
receive failing report only for intel cards, all other xorg drivers seem
to work fine.

for the record we're up to date for all related stuff : mesa 7.3, libdrm
2.4.5, xorg 1.6.0

to answer you the dmesg log with a 2.6.29-rc8 kernel :
http://pastebin.com/ma99fb07 (it's basically the same as what we have with
2.6.29 kernel)

as the stack trace speaks of gem we think that it could be related to gem
integration in the kernel, but it's just a guess

regards,

David