[Intel-gfx] Intel 945GM with >=2.6 and newer kernels: massive performance and or memory leak problems

Marc Deop damnshock at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:10:49 CEST 2009

On Sunday 29 March 2009 15:51:51 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> This is a summary of my experience with latest Intel developments: All
> comments below apply to a KDE 4.2 Desktop with compositing enabled on
> Arch Linux x86_64 and an Intel 945GM / Core 2 Duo CPU.
>
> - 2.4 driver, Linux 2.6.28 and older, don't remember the Mesa version:
> Using EXA, performance was okay, but not very good. Leaked a few hundred
> MB of memory within a week of active usage.
>
> - 2.6 driver, Linux 2.6.28, Mesa 7.3:
> Using EXA, the performance is bad, you can count the FPS with the bare eye.
> Using UXA, it is amazingly fast (faster as ever before), but it leaks
> hundreds of megabytes of memory within hours. After two or three
> suspend/resume cycles and one day of active usage, the X server uses
> over 1GB of memory! Even without suspend/resume cycles, it may use over
> 500MB of memory within only 6 hours.
> This applies to both the 2.6.3 and 2.6.99.902 driver.
>
> - 2.6 driver, Linux 2.6.29, Mesa 7.3
> Using EXA or UXA, the performance is very bad (as with EXA in the above
> section), I have to disable compositing to be able to work at all. This
> seems like a huge performance regression in 2.6.29! It is the same with
> and without KMS enabled.
> I can't say anything about the memory problems, as I didn't use it with
> compositing long enough to find out.
>
> - 2.6 driver, linux-2.6.git tree, Mesa 7.3
> Basically, same as the last section, except the "weird colors" are fixed
> when enabling KMS.
>
> So my question is:
> 1) How do I get composite performance back with 2.6.29 and newer kernels?
> 2) How do I get rid of the massive memory leaks I experience with UXA?
>
> Thanks for your replies. I hope me joining this mailing list can help
> sorting these problems out, as sadly the intel driver is becoming less
> useful for me over time.

Same experience here :'(

Furthermore, I've suffered the same running on gnome (for a moment I thought it
was kde4's fault) and compiz.

Right now I'm trying on fluxbox, I'll get back to you all in a couple of days
after trying this out although it seems all might be a X server bug (by what
I've read so far)

Damnshock