[Intel-gfx] External Monitor Performance

Marc Deop i Argemí damnshock at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 18:50:30 CET 2009

Hi guys,

I own a Toshiba U200-141 with a 945GM graphics system

dmesg | grep GM
[    1.672224] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: Intel 945GM Chipset

The thing is that I usually work on an external 21.5" monitor at 1920x1080 and
I thought the performance was bad although usable. The thing is that recently
I had to use the computer as a laptop (what'd you say?a laptop as a laptop,
uh? ;) ) without the external monitor, on it's LVDS (1280x800).

Well, now the things are *smooth*. And I *mean* it: even flash seems to play
properly! even on full screen! Kwin and compiz's effects work perfectly, no lag
nor artifacts present. Playing videos is really nice, 720p movies play while
doing some other thing doesn't make the video lag although I still cannot play
1080p files :S

This is running on a Debian System, 2.9.0 driver on a kernel:

uname -a
Linux Telperion 2.6.31-trunk-686 #1 SMP Tue Oct 13 22:34:42 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux

Is this "behavior" expected? Having a 1920x1080 screen resolution impacts so
heavily on the performance? If so...is there any workaround?

By the way, I want to thanks you for the huge stability and performance
improvement over the last year driver development.

Thanks,

Damnshock