[Intel-gfx] Framebuffer on multiple pipes

Simon Pasch fpasch at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 6 09:39:14 CET 2009

2009/11/6 Zhenyu Wang <zhenyuw at linux.intel.com>:

> We have DMI quirks for no LVDS system, see intel_lvds.c

Yeah. I've seen those comments in intel_lvds_init(). As my system has
no lid (but pretends to have one) I tried to disabled the complete
function in intel_setup_outputs() (in intel_display.c). Afterwards
even the xrandr-controlling doesn't work any more.

> If LVDS is disabled, you'll get a free pipe so SDVOs could be lighted up then?

Uhm...okay, actually the LVDS-pipe has to be disabled to enable both
SDVO-pipes. I assumed, that disabling LVDS means disabling the
LVDS-pipe too.

Maybe disabling LVDS-pipe isn't needed at first. Simply enabling a
cloned framebuffer on SDVOB-pipe (as one pipe should be unused at the
moment) would be the easiest approach.

How is this cloning done? I've seen, that something is defined in
intel_output->clone_mask, but where is it used?

By the way, I'm using a 945gm controller with 2 pipes, don't know if
other intel controllers have more or less pipes.

Thanks for your answer.

Simon Pasch