[Intel-gfx] Dual Framebuffer on poulsbo (GMA-500)

Daniel Toussaint daniel at dmhome.net
Mon Oct 26 15:21:12 CET 2009

Hello,

My system has an Intel Poulsbo graphics chips with a dual display
configuration. Primary display is the intel , on board LVDS , secondary
display is SDVO with a chrontel part that drives an LVDS panel also.
The only way I can get it to work right now, is using IEGD 10.1 - which  is
fine for Xorg. However, our customers need to use a kernel framebuffer
device as the backend.
I have tried the psb kernel module that comes with the Ubuntu xorg-psb
package... It does create two framebuffer devices fb0 and fb1 - only fb0 is
usable it seems.
Looking at the code of the driver (quick look ...) it seems that it is
unsupported to use the second display as sdvo+lvds ....
My questions:
1.) Is it possible at all , in theory - with the current info on the gma-500
grahpics core ?  I mean would it be possible to modify the driver to support
what I want - without hitting a brick wall ?
2.) Is there any other way to get two framebuffers on this chipset ? We
don't need any form of acceleration , just two different displays and both
of them have different resolutions.

I know this may not be the right place to ask, but i am just looking for a
few pointers or idea's.

Thanks.