[Intel-gfx] intel_gpu_top profiles

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 30 13:29:09 CET 2009

Hi guys..

intel_gpu_top seemed like it has been a well kept secret.. I discovered
it today, and took some profiles of the circuit board layout package I'm
working on.

Can anyone suggest whether there appears to be "room for improvement"? I
couldn't spot any obvious bottle-neck. I'm surprised that the pixel
shader is seeing any use, (even without compiz), as I'm just using
boring fixed-function stuff with no texturing, no lighting, nothing
fancy..

Screen-captures of the profiles available here:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/intel_gpu_top_profiles/
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/intel_gpu_top_profiles/intel_gpu_load_displaylist_no_compiz_PCB.png
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/intel_gpu_top_profiles/intel_gpu_top_displaylist_compiz_PCB.png
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/intel_gpu_top_profiles/intel_gpu_top_no_displaylist_compiz_PCB.png
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/intel_gpu_top_profiles/intel_gpu_top_no_displaylist_no_compiz_PCB.png

The "displaylist" versions are where I get the rendering code to build
all its rendering into a single displaylist, then just draw the
display-list from the expose event handler. (Prodded repeatedly by our
"benchmark" action).

The "no_displaylist" versions show what happens with our geometry
generation overheads in place - obviously there is room for improvement
in that case!

The maximum throughput I got with the no compiz, displaylist version
(window sized as shown in the screen-shot) was only 10.7fps.

What is "MASM CS CR" and "CL CS"? Those seem to vary in the compiz /
non-compiz case. Is there a guide with these names somewhere (other than
the GPU PRM?)

Btw.. if it matters, I took these with the laptop on battery power.

Best wishes,

Peter C.