[Intel-gfx] basic dri question

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 11:33:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

> 1.      Do I need to build and install the Xfree86 server that normally
> ships with the Intel driver? Or can I take advantage of dri with my setup
> “as-is” (i.e. Xorg plus my Intel driver) ?
You can use the xserver provided by RedHat. Its the distributor's task
to use components that fit well together.
However the components in F11 are not rock-solid, if you're keen you
could try F12 alpha - at least the intel driver + kernel parts are a
lot better there.

> 2.      Other than enabling loading glx and dri modules in the xorg.conf
> “Module” section, is there anything else I need to do (i.e. re-link my apps,
> etc…)?
Not really.

> 3.      Will I see a difference in performance between Xorg and Xfree86?
As far as I know intel doesn't suppoert XFree86 anymore, but I could be wrong.
Anyway XFree86's code is outdated.

- Clemens