[Intel-gfx] Closing LID doesn't disable LVDS display

Dariush Forouher dariush at forouher.de
Fri Sep 18 19:02:35 CEST 2009

Hi,

using kernel 2.6.31 + todays drm-intel patches from Jesse Barnes' tree
there seems to be a problem related to the backlight of the LVDS display:
(using a laptop with a GM965 GPU)

When closing the lid of my laptop, the xrandr status switches from

LVDS1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 304mm x 190mm
   1440x900       60.1*+   59.9
   1360x768       59.8
   1152x864       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9

LVDS1 disconnected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 304mm x 190mm

But when peeking under the closed lid I notice that the display stays active!
Only after executing "xrandr --output LVDS1 --off" it will finally get switched off.

I observe this when running X as well as using a console.

ciao
Dariush