[Intel-gfx] [Patch 0/3] DRM/I915: Use the child device array to decide whether the given HDMI/DP should be initialzied

Zhenyu Wang zhenyuw at linux.intel.com
Mon Sep 21 05:08:36 CEST 2009

On 2009.09.21 10:30:29 +0800, ykzhao wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 04:00 +0800, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > > It is also ok to add their definition.(TV_TYPE, LFP_TYPE). But now the
> > > child device array is not used to initialize the TV/LVDS. So it is
> > > unnecessary to add their definitions.
> >
> > I think it's desirable for LFP.  The ACPI lid presence hack we're using
> > now is kind of gross, and I have at least two machines within arm's
> > reach where it's just plain wrong.
> Do you have such boxes? will you please give me the acpidump/vbios.dump
> on these boxes?
> >
> > In particular, for mobile parts the child device array seems to always
> > contain an entry for LFP_TYPE.  However, it appears that addin_offset in
> > that entry is non-zero iff LVDS really is present.  I'm still collecting
> > more ROMs to verify this, but so far it looks pretty consistent.
> On most boxes it is reliable and can be used to decide whether the
> LVDS/TV should be initialized. But after I check the vbios collected
> from Jesse, I find that it is not reliable.
>
>    On some boxes the definition of child device is incorrect. In such
> case it can't be used to decide whether the LVDS/TV should be
> initialized.

I doubt on the real gain of these patches, like boot time decrease, etc, in
consider on unreliable data from VBT...I don't think a longer list of output
types showed in xrandr has any problem for user, no? Or we just show connected
outputs in xrandr by default, and xrandr --verbose give you all possible outputs?

--
Open Source Technology Center, Intel ltd.

$gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 4D781827