[Intel-gfx] Intel/Pineview graphics won't load 1024x600 resolution in X11

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Apr 28 16:29:42 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 08:30 +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:

> Your X server uses the VESA driver. This list is about the intel
> driver. As 1024x600 is not a resolution defined by VESA, it won't be
> used by the VESA driver. If you switch to the intel driver, it should
> work (and also give reasonable and nice features like video and 3D
> accelleration).

To be perfectly clear, because I see this mistaken interpretation far
too often:

The vesa _driver_ does not define modes.  At all.  Your (VESA VBE [1]
conformant) video BIOS does.  There is a list in the BIOS that varies by
platform, and that's all that the driver can use.  Some machines might
be able to do 1024x600 with the vesa driver, if their BIOS includes that
mode.  But it's nothing to do with any list of modes published by VESA
the standards organization [2], nor is it something that the vesa driver
can control.

[1] - Video BIOS Extensions, a set of real-mode programming interfaces
defined by VESA way back in the dark ages.

[2] - Many BIOSes do include modes that VESA has written down as
standards, and often exclusively modes of that sort.  But they _may_
include any modes they wish.

- ajax