[Intel-gfx] i915GM 2D+3D intel driver regression

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 20:23:03 CEST 2010

On 2010/04/30 08:45 (GMT-0700) SD composed:

> I have been using linux for 2 years already. And I use it on intel 915 GM video card:
> X uses 4% of CPU
> SMplayer 10-12% of CPU.

> GLXgear gives me:
> 3216 frames in 5.0 seconds = 643.117 FPS

> Now I tried Fedora13 (test) with intel driver:

> And can you imagine GLXgear gives me:
> 165 frames in 5.1 seconds = 32.612 FPS

> Watching Xvid movie:
> X uses ~40% of CPU
> SMplayer ~10-20% of CPU.

> So, for i915GM new driver is BIG BIG REGRESSION and big step backward.

This regressive behavior is well known. F13 has not been released, so it's
betaware. If you can't deal with bugs then don't replace what's working OK
with development versions. Newer isn't always better. If it's working, don't
try to "fix" it by "upgrading" to betaware. Meanwhile, someone must install
the betaware to find the bugs. If you think your experience is unique, report
in the appropriate manner. Did you look in bugs.freedesktop.org and/or
bugzilla.redhat.com before installing F13 or comming here? Complaining here
about a "big regression" is unlikely to be much help in getting it fixed.
--
"Suppos [sic] a nation in some distant region, should
take the Bible for their only law book, and every member

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/