[Intel-gfx] Working out if my driver is borked ?

Marc Deop i Argemí damnshock at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 23:00:42 CEST 2010

On Friday June 4 2010 18:05:50 Saner wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I have been trying to work out if my laptop is under-performing
> graphically all day, I have managed to push an extra 200fps on glxgears,
> but I am trying to work out if this is normal for my card (it seems low
> to be honest), but I want to find out before I start breaking things.
>
> My card is a Intel GM45, and I (think) I have the latest driver
> installed (and the latest stable mesa3d driver)

Latest? for your distro? from git? From the official packages? ;)

> glxgears seems low
>
> 3677 frames in 5.0 seconds = 735.353 FPS
> 3304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 660.754 FPS
> 3155 frames in 5.0 seconds = 630.804 FPS

It is well known glxgears is *not* a suitable benchmark. Don't base  your
perception on those results.

However, I will quote www.phoroniix.com:

"The Intel Linux graphics driver is simply not in a state to perform well with
3D acceleration atop its Mesa driver."

The 3D performance is *terrible* on my 945GM even though it has improved a lot
in the last year.

It seems there have been many improvements in the 2.12 version of the driver
as well as the DRI2 implementation in the Xorg server...

By the way: keep up the good work developers!