[Intel-gfx] [i845G] stuck in 1024x768

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 14 01:13:29 CEST 2010

On 2010/06/13 23:10 (GMT+0100) Andy Lutomirski composed:

> On Jun 13, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Using openSUSE 11.3M7 (1.8.0 server/2.11.0 AFAICT) I've been unable
>> to figure
>> out how to get the server to obey xorg.conf entries for NoDDC,
>> NoRandr,
>> PreferredMode or DisplaySize. Is it no longer possible to get my
>> choice of
>> resolution and DPI without reverting to one of the older X/driver
>> versions
>> that was perfectly happy to do 2048x1536 on whatever size display
>> (IOW,
>> whatever DPI I desire) I set it to use (and without _any_ modeline
>> entries in
>> xorg.conf)?

>> Must I use /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d entries instead? If so, where are the HOWTO
>> and valid entries catalog located?

>> xorg.conf.new created by 'X -configure':
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf.new-t2240-os113-20100613a

>> xorg.conf as last modified by me:
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf-t2240-s113-20100613a

>> Xorg.0.log from last use of above xorg.conf:
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-t2240-s113-20100613a

>> Note: My display produces neither valid EDID nor valid DDC.

> Do xrandr --newmode and xrandr --addmode not work?

Not so far. 'xrandr' & 'xrandr -q' can't open display. xrandr --help scrolls
off the screen.  'xrandr --newmode `cvt 1600 1200`' produces syntax message.
http://linux.die.net/man/1/xrandr shows only terse syntax with no examples.
Google produced its usual zillion unhelpful hits, mostly about configuring
multiple displays. This and more is why I inquired here.

With xorg.conf as recently as last fall, no command line understanding was
required, only following any of many widely available instruction examples,
from which when correctly followed, X simply obeyed, _starting_up_ in the
desired mode, doing automatically whatever it is that now requires output
from gtf or cvt run separately beforehand.

Just as importantly, I've not yet figured out why anyone should have to do
manually (presuming they can even figure out how) what used to work
automatically. For years, no modelines were in xorg.conf were required, and X
just used the first usable entry on the applicable modes line in 'Section
"Screen"'. Later someone decided a PreferredMode entry in 'Section "Monitor"'
was required to perform the same function, but now it no longer works.

Supposedly the overhaul of X begun two years ago was to make
operation/startup/configuration (?more?) automatic, not less, but I, always
using Trinitron CRTs, have only observed quite the contrary so far. X for me
has regressed from the jet age back to piston engined biplanes without
electric starters.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/