[Intel-gfx] Advantages of CreateSolidFill as src for CompositeText?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:08:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

In my java2d-xrender backend I am always using a 1x1 pixmap as src if
color values are set for CompositeText.
I recently discovered with intel-2.10 that a large amount of time is
spent reading back the color value of that 1x1 pixmap (about 50% of
total CompositeGlyph time), the other cycles mostly went into
i830_get_aperture.

With 2.11.901 everything seems to be fine, but I wonder - what is the
preferred way to do this across different drivers (EXA)?
I remember I decided to go with the 1x1 pixmap because EXA back then
didn't like solid fills with alpha value, and 1x1 pixmaps performed
quite well everywhere.

Thank you in advance, Clemens

PS: No idea what you did with 2.11.901 but that thing rocks.
Benchmarks I regulary run to monitor my backend's performance show a
reduction of rendering times by overall 20-40%, and also the whole
desktop feels a lot faster.
Very impressive, thanks a lot!