[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.11.901

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jun 15 23:23:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:12:28 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí <damnshock at gmail.com> wrote:
> That looks like a lot of work, ain't it? :S

It shouldn't be, once you get the hang of compiling and running against
a locally-compiled driver. There are about 176 commits between 2.11.0
and 2.11.901 so that should only require about 8 compile/test cycles to
determine what the buggy commit is.

> Anyway, I could give it a try but I must admit I don't know where to start to
> look for the commits... can somebody give a hand on that?

Sure. Here's the recipe. First, checkout the driver from git with:

	git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel

After that, compile it with something like:

	cd xf86-video-intel
	./autogen.sh --prefix=/some/directory
        make
        make install

Then, you'll want to edit your xorg.conf file (likely
/etc/X11/xorg.conf) to let it know about the new directory to which you
installed this driver. So either add to the beginning of the Files
section or make a new section named "Files" as follows:

	Section "Files"
		ModulePath	"/some/directory/lib/xorg/modules"
		ModulePath	"/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
	EndSection

[Obviously you might use something other than "/some/directory" in both
of the above commands. Use whatever directory you'd like there.]

At that point, you should be able to restart X and run with your
custom-compiled driver. And when you're done with all this, you'll be
able to undo the changes to return to using your system's driver.

Next, to do the bisect, the first thing to do is to ensure that things
work with the 2.11.0 release. That's as follows:

	git checkout 2.11.0
	./autogen.sh --prefix=/some/directory
        make
        make install

And then run the server. If it all works, then you're ready to
bisect. Get back to master first with:

	git checkout master

And then actually start bisecting with:

	git bisect start
	git bisect bad master
        git bisect good 2.11.0

At that point git will checkout an intermediate commit for you. So then
it's time to compile and test, (same commands as before: autogen.sh,
make, make install). If it works, run "git bisect good". If it doesn't,
run "git bisect bad". Then git will checkout another intermediate commit
and you continue the process.

In the end, if all goes well, git should report "first bad commit is..."
and that's the information we'll want to know.

> Naaah, we are here to help ;)

Fantastic. Please let me know if any of the above is not clear.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com