[Intel-gfx] 2.6.33: no driver gives any usable reaction

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Wed Mar 3 18:08:37 CET 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 03.03.2010, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Holger Schurig:
> > but if there's an intel driver version in there, I missed it.
>
> I wrote about in-kernel drivers for intel graphics hardware. The version of
> them is whatever comes with vanilla linux 2.6.33 from kernel.org.
>
> > 2.6.33 requires modeset aware driver, which means current or _very_
> >  recent. Is that what you have?
>
> Judge by yourself if Linux 2.6.33 is very recent or not. :-)

felix probably was thinking about userspace drivers ...
for kernel questions you could have posted your kernel .config...
but anyway, see here for what knobs to twist to get your kernel do
kernel mode setting:

http://markmail.org/message/llcyoxkfefeqeys6

short summary:
all kernel-graphics support is consolidated into i915 module.
fbcon is used by i915 to display the console.

all other kernel framebuffer-drivers are not to be used together with
the i915 module.

the whitescreen you encounter is probably a bug.
to get further with debugging this:
try to restart with i915 and fbcon built into the kernel and modesetting
switched on (in your .config or via kernel commandline: i915.modeset=1 )
as well as the kernel commandline drm.debug=12 (probably needs some
debugging option for drm turned on in  your .config )

then post your resulting dmesg here and/or on
dri-devel at lists.sourceforge.net (which is the list mentioned in the
kernel MAINTAINERS file for the drm drivers )

if it is very urgent for you, you could also proactivly check out if it
is a regression or never worked for you by checking the kernels back to
2.6.29 (introduction of kms) for that turning-white symptom you are
expieriencing.

hth,
Flo