[Intel-gfx] OT: IcoKenwooYea-Hams (was: Toshiba A505-S6005 Graphics help (HM55 on i3))

Holger Schurig holgerschurig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:12:16 CET 2010

> What is »IcoKenwooYea-Hams«? I did not find it on the WWW.
> What »general class«?

Both comments were directed to John, who seems to be a ham radio operator. I
saw this by his call-sign (K3JAE), but he also mentions this on his home page.

Licensed ham radio operators are allowed to build their own equipment. For
this, they need to learn a great deal of technology, about filters, HF
propagation, law etc. In Germany, we have two license levels ("E" and "A"), in
USA they have even more, two of them are "technician" and "general". I must
admit that I'm not up-to-date to the US radio amateur regulations.

So, the license and the learning required should empower every ham to build
his own transceiver. But not everyone has the time to do so. So a good number
of them buy finished transceivers. This is the equivalent of a user using a
Linux distribution. If you buy a radio and it doesn't work, you don't ask for
details of a transistor or op-amp, you ask using the support-channels of the
manufacturer.

There's also the equivalent of software hackers writing drivers and kernel
modules. They are like the radio self-builders. Here, if something doesn't
work, you study reference manuals and heat your solder iron.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de