[Intel-gfx] Picture on i915GM laptop LCD is usable only with "DRI" "off" in xorg.conf Fedora 14

SD sd.domrep at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 18:08:46 CET 2010

--- On Wed, 11/24/10, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Intel-gfx] Picture on i915GM laptop LCD is usable only with "DRI" "off" in xorg.conf Fedora 14
> To: "SD" <sd.domrep at yahoo.com>, intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 5:35 PM
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 06:05:07 -0800
> (PST), SD <sd.domrep at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear All.
> >
> > Within last few days I have been testing my laptop
> i915GM LCD screen picture with option "DRI" "off" in
> xorg.conf device section. It happened because I can't
> physically look at my screen more then half an hour with DRI
> enabled. I do not know how to explain what is wrong with LCD
> picture, but my eyes like burn inside, after some time
> screen picture starts to hurt my eyes.
> > It was before already and then I solved it to disable
> DRI. Now with Fedora 14.
> > I know, I do not blame anyone, because I start from
> Fedora 13, then Fedora rawhide, then Fedora 14 and always
> the same problem - unusable screen picture with my i915.
>
> Most likely a vrefresh issue. Turn your head to one side,
> do you see any
> screen flicker in your peripheral vision? If you can, using
> that screen
> for any length of time will lead to eye strain.
>
> For us to be able to help you, we need a lot more details
> about your
> machine, in particular Xorg.0.log, xrandr, dmesg would be a
> good start.
>
> > Disabling DRI solve it up to 80%, because it anyway
> stays worse then picture on Suse 11.1 (just perfect).
> >
> > Another problem (and it is really problem). I know and
> I some of you many times told, that "glxgears" is not a test
> tool and I can't measure with it anything, BUT with DRI
> "off" option it gives me:
> > 718 frames in 5.0 seconds = 143.432 FPS
> >
> > With DRI enabled I got only:
> > 98 frames in 5.1 seconds = 19.359 FPS (still mouse)
>
> This is hugely important and tells you that your system
> configuration is
> broken. Most likely you do not have permission to access
> the graphics
> device directly (as required for hardware DRI). Unless of
> course, it works
> correctly with a moving mouse, then you are just suffering
> from missing
> interrupts like the rest of us.
> -Chris
>
> --
> Chris Wilson, Intel Open Source Technology Centre

Thank you very much for your answer and wish to help with this issue.
As long as I never heard from others I start to think that may be it is only my laptop or its video chip.

About vrefresh. I did notice some screen flicker, but it was with rawhide version of the fedora 14, now I do not notice it. I also tried to generate "modeline" with "cvt".
for 1024 768 60 add results to xorg.conf and change it to feel the difference.
Unfortunately nothing can help a lot - all of it far from flat and soft (for eyes) screen picture. Only DRI = off can help.
http://pastebin.com/x3bHnr6p - Xorg.0.log
http://pastebin.com/r29Ug9Q7 - xrandr
http://pastebin.com/SeMynwGr - dmesg

About glxgears. It give me ~55 FPS when I move mouse around. So it works.

Thanks