[Intel-gfx] artefacts on 855 graphic

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 00:01:30 CET 2010

Hi Alan,

> Frankly, it harms Intel's Linux reputation that this regression in 3D
> support for old chips has been allowed to develop.

Well, I also own a 855GM powered laptop, but I have to add that I
understand intel's descision to not devote a lot development resources
to it anymore. 3D on that hardware doesn't make a lot of sence except
you need to run legacy apps that depend on it, and about running
compiz - even their next-gen chip i915 doesn't run Vista's Aero
composition manager.

Furthermore its not different from what other GPU vendors do with
legacy hardware.
Take nvidia for example - their old chips don't get driver updates
anymore, and the more-or-less official recommendation is to use nv
instead. I have to use the reverse engineered nouveau driver on that
machines (and I am really happy with it) to get at least useable 2D.
And for AMD, the HD2100 powered mainboard I bought exactly one year
ago doesn't receive any driver updates for windows anymore too, one
year after I bought it.

- Clemens