[Intel-gfx] Fwd: 2.6.36-rc5 i915 regression

Seblu seblu at seblu.net
Mon Oct 18 18:38:53 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:44:18 +0200, Seblu <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> That bisection result is very bizarre. In a midst of a major timing mishap
> in rc2, that commit is comparatively calm and at least prints out an error
> message should you ever hit it. (But since you weren't reporting a hang
> just a blank screen, I doubt you are.)
You are right, screen is just stay black. I can reboot my computer by
Ctrl-Alt-Del. But something is weird, after a led blink screen stay
black and need a power button push to stop computer (and an another to
restart it with a functionnal bios screen)

> The Dell e6410 has an embedded DisplayPort device which has patches aiming
> for 2.6.37 but since we are still in the process of getting eDP solid,
> I wouldn't suggest any but the worst offenders for stable. (The current
> state of affairs still seems to be fix some machines and break others, but
> many more machines do now seem to be working than before.)
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ickle/drm-intel.git
> drm-intel-next has many more eDP patches, and Jesse is currently cooking
> up some more in
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jbarnes/drm-intel.git
> edp-fixes.
> -Chris

I've tried linux-next git patches and with this, display goes back to
normal and it's seems that compositing under kde 4.5 is now a little
bit fluent.

This is sad you cannot push fix in 2.6.36 because e6410 dell laptop
become completly unusable. Life is harsh.

I've one more question about i915. Do you know that i915 module and
recent version of Xorg have bad performance in a kde 4.5 compositing
environment? Do you think this is linked with eDP issues ?

Regards,

--
Sébastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net