[Intel-gfx] Using quirks to fix incorrect Monitor physical size

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 13 13:14:26 CEST 2010

On 2010/09/13 10:10 (GMT) Nasa composed:

>> Is there a way to tell the driver to use DisplaySize to pass the
>> correct dimensions to
>> the i915 driver?  from my searches, I saw the following note:

>> News: xf86-video-intel only supports KMS now
>> 2010-02-11 - Jan de Groot

>> With the move of xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 to extra, support for UMS has
>> been removed from the intel driver. This means that KMS is a
>> requirement now.

>> Does this mean that there's no way to override incorrect (or in my
>> case) missing EDID info?  I am assuming so,
>> which is why I am asking about quirks.  Thanks in advance,

> So...

> Given the lack of a response, I am guessing this means the drivers don't
> support this capability.  Is there a reason for limiting user capabilities?
> Removing users ability to work around hardware issues just seems like the
> wrong way to go.  At least in my humble opinion.

I'm not implying what you're asking for is unreasonable or too much to ask,
but have you tried Meego's vesa or fbdev drivers with KMS disabled? If those
don't cut it for you, maybe you just need to wait a while longer for the
Intel devs to replace more of what got discarded when UMS got dumped from its
driver. Maybe you need to file an xorg bug to help that along.

What was on the laptop when you bought it? You'd think the vendor would have
shipped something works with its hardware. I can't tell from
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2010-August/007907.html what
it was you bought.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/