[Intel-gfx] Trying to understand the URB code

Zou, Nanhai nanhai.zou at intel.com
Thu Apr 7 10:24:27 CEST 2011

Hi Ken,
	URB allocation on gen6 is different than previous gens.
On previous gen, there is a total size urb for many stages of VS GS CLIP SF.
So driver has to decide how much urb to allocate for each stage.

On gen6 only GS and VS will share an urb of 64k(32k on GT1)

urb_entry_number also has a limit, check 3DSTATE_URB command.

The more urb entry number we have, the more current threads can spawn.

But
We should make sure
VS urb size = single_urb_size * gs_urb_entry
+
GS urb size = single_urb_size * vs_urb_entry
< total_urb_size

In most case, this is ok, unless we have a huge single_urb_size.

Since we are always using GS pass through mode for now.
The number for GS urb dose not matter.
So allocate more urb size for VS, less for GS may be better for huge urb_size

But consider we will support GS shader later and huge urb_size case is very rare,
I separate urb equally for GS and VS.

Thanks
Zou Nan hai