[Intel-gfx] How can I set non-60Hz-Modes?

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Thu Aug 11 03:45:00 CEST 2011

On Thursday 11 August 2011 01:04:41 Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 18:25 +0200, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > I used to do that with the nvidia tool on nv, but now I'm a little stuck:
> > No matter what I do X comes up at 60 Hz. I need to do 50 tho so the
> > attached plasma tv doubles it to 100 (at 60 it flickers, plus pulldown
> > problems)
> >
> > EDID reports a refresh range of 58-62 Hertz which I overrode in
> > xorg.conf. When I feed it a custom mode with xrandr --newmode / --addmode
> > it does 50hz alright, but I can't make it permanent from xorg.conf.
>
> I've always found the Debian XRandR documentation to be good.  Check it
> out: http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
>
> Apart from all the nvidia-specific options you've got there, you're
> missing...
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >     Identifier     "Device0"
> >     Driver         "intel"
> >     VendorName     "intel corp"
> >     BoardName      "SandyBridge"
>
>      Option          "Monitor-HDMI2" "Monitor0"
>
> > EndSection
>
> You may have noticed from your Xorg.0.log that your monitor section
> *was* getting read, and the preferred mode *was* getting applied; just
> to your VGA output.  If you associate your Monitor section with the
> output you want it to apply to, it should work.

Figured that meanwhile, too. Still comes up at 60. Beats me. I wrote a little
script for mplayer to register and set modes depending on the video so that
works for me.

Actually I got bigger problems like xv not properly working... and vmware not
working on the .39+ kernels intel needs... and debian testing being the only
dist with at leat 2.15 and otherwise being a total bitch about almost
anything.. and me not getting mplayer to apply the compressor plugins for
dts...
Actually, right now about *all* these problems could be solved by moving the
machine to Win7.
</wearyrant>